Monday, June 16, 2008

We are not too busy, why not tackle the roof 6/11-6/13



One of the problems that we noticed when we say the house for the first time, was a section of rotten wood in the carport where it meets the house. We decided to use our economic stimulis money and replace the roof.

We had a couple of companies come out and give an estimate. Two estimates of $3,000-3,500 later, coupled with the fact that I hate to pay for labor, we decided to do the job ourselves (come on, you did see that coming right?).

We purchased the materials, and I scheduled some vacation time. I took Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, June 11-13, off and planned to get quite a bit accomplished. The first task was to tear off the roof over the carport. Since I was at the cottage by myself, I knew that I could only removed as much roof as I could cover in case of bad weather.

I got started around noon on Wednesday and after a couple of hours, I had most of the old shingles off of the carport. I was finally able to see the extent of the rotten wood. It was slightly worse than I had anticipated, but still manageable. I started to remove the roofing nails and the staples when the planks started to crack lenghtwise.



I decided to replace the boards with plywood sheets to reinforce the carport. We want a nice roof that will last a long time, and I wasn't willing to risk the carport cracking apart.



I drove to Goshen, IN and purchased the plywwod sheets and some additional nails. I tore out the planks roof and replaced them with the plywood. I am actually comfortable walking on the surface, now that it is solid.

No comments: