Friday, November 17, 2006

Winterization

I still have some projects to complete before winter hits the area, but I am quickly running out of time. I need to get the water system shut off, and the pump removed before the freezing temperatures cause damage. I have been trying to hold off as long as possible on the water system, so I can still work in the house on other projects. I decided that I cannot wait any longer.

Sunday, November 11

I decided to drain the water system and remove the pump. I turned off the water supply to the pump and opened all of the faucets and let them drain into buckets. I let them run long after the water stopped flowing to allow every possible drop to escape the lines. I went back outside and shut off the well valve and removed the inlet hose. I was not completely sure of what I was doing, but it helped to know that I only needed to save two pieces of the water system; the water heater and the water pump. I could not remove any of the iron pipe fittings, so I removed the flex hose on the inlet and the flex hose from the water filter. Once the hoses were disconnected, I was able to lift the pump from the brick base and place it in my truck to store in the basement for the winter.

I still need to place a more secure closure to the flexible hoses to prevent anything from entering them over the winter, but other than that, the job is complete.

No comments: